08 November 2010

Interconnectedness of all things

Origami-type folded paper terrier (circa 1945)
Rear view of paper folded terrier
The i heart market this weekend put so many ideas into my head and re-inforced so many concepts that were "seeding" in my mind. It reminded me of the Herman Mellville quote: "We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibres connect us with our fellow men; and among these fibres as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes and they come back as effects"


The doggie in the pictures on the right belongs to my father. It was made by a sailor who was in hospital in Pietermaritzburg around the end of World War II. I was inspired to take these photos because I bought an origami paper weave bracelet from Denise at Freshly Found that reminded me of the folding technique on the dog.

I browsed to my heart's content and saw so many of my own ideas represented in various forms and bought some beautiful, original Christmas presents. I am so deeply moved by the large number of people who are making original products, often by hand. And others who are recycling in the most interesting and creative ways. The market feels like a haven of natural charm and simplicity. One of the stall-holders said a quick goodbye to the item I bought. It seemed that what had been created was like a child that was now being sent out into the world.


I wanted time to write down all of the things that had inspired me but alas, the weekend is truly over and I will have to find time to do it during the week.





*Update: I inadvertently misattributed the quote above. I've just found out via Wikipedia that the quote was not by Herman Mellville (an American novelist) but rather by Henry Melvill (Canon of St Paul's Cathedral)

3 comments:

  1. It was lovely to meet you. Thanks so much for sending the pic. I have written about it on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - really love the fact that the folded doggie is so old! Amazing story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting...