13 November 2010

Update about the doggie

Do you realise, I'm becoming famous?
Thanks to everyone who read about and commented on the little paper doggie. I've dug a little deeper and now have more details to divulge.

My great aunt, who lived in Pietermaritzburg all her life, befriended a sailor who was recuperating at Oribi hospital after the war. His name was "Lofty" Ham. He would visit my aunt and on one visit brought this paper doggie as a gift for her. It may have been made by another sailor, we are not sure. The cigarette boxes that were used are Players Navycut 10's. The sailor on the box has been used to make the nose of our little dog. The doggie was passed on to my aunt and from her to my dad.

He's a little bit old now and is showing some signs of wear and tear. One little foot pad no longer has any of the original image left on the paper, another little leg is not as strong as the other three, and when you pick him up he is very light and delicate. Nevertheless it is clear that he is a terrier and we all know that terriers are known for their tenacity and strength so I'm certain he'll be with us for a long, long time.

5 comments:

  1. So interesting! How wonderful that this artistic piece of history has been preserved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Helen,
    I can vividly recall my late father (ex Royal Navy) who during the fifties made these dogs from "Players Navy Cut" and "Senior Service" packets. From what I can remember he made them in 2 sizes, the smaller from the 10 packet and the larger from a 20 packet.
    I also recollect he made circular, cylindrical containers with lid using "Woodbine Packets" which he described as a biscuit barrel. No doubt many a sailor spent their spare time on board ship making these items.
    Please keep your dog on a tight leash as this species must now be an absolute rarity.
    Derek Lines, Portsmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Derek
    I was so pleased to get your comment with a little more of the puzzle regarding the origins of our paper dog. Rest assured we will be keeping him on a tight leash as you recommend. From what you describe, our dog must be the smaller size. Maybe one day I will also get to see an example of the larger size and the biscuit barrel.
    Thank you for adding part of your own family history to ours.
    sanehelen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently purchased a similar little dog made out of cycle inner tubes - I really want to know how to make one - thye are so clever. Does anyone know the technique, please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can be inspired by the following
    http://www.britishorigami.info/practical/highlite/130-39.php#130
    Happy folding

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting...