12 November 2010

Word Power

The words Peace, Love, Hope, Joy and Happiness as well as repetition of the image of a heart seem to me to be appearing everywhere I go and I'm wondering what that says about our culture and society today. It reinforces in my mind the idea that there is a power in words and images that we all recognise at some level.

My recent blog post about the Holstee manifesto and my fascination with the concept of word clouds has reminded me how much I enjoy words and language and I am wondering if I will ever get to put form to the many ideas that arc across the neurons in my brain.

In the beautiful words of John Keats...

"When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
Before high pilèd books, in charact'ry,
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love! - then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting...